Based on the centuries old traditions of dance training, the following dress code guidelines will be enforced throughout the year. Dancers must be able to focus on instruction without distraction from poorly fitting clothing or loose hair in their faces. Instructors must be able to see students’ alignment and body position in properly fitted dance clothes.
- No baggy clothing. No necklaces, or dangling earrings. NO bracelets of any kind
- Previous years' recital costumes are too distracting and not appropriate for class.
- Must be neatly and securely pulled back from the face and off the neck FOR ALL CLASSES. No bangs in the face.
- Shorter styles (i.e. chin length, "bobs", etc) must still be secured back from the face with barrettes or headband.
- Longer styles must at least be in a secure ponytail or braid
- Female Ballet Students ages 9 and up (all levels) must wear their hair in a neat and tidy bun with no stray loose hair.
Class Specific Dress Requirements - GIRLS
Rhythm & Dance 3 & 4 yrs. – Pink leotard, pink footed or convertible tights, pink leather ballet slippers. Dance skirt optional.
Pre-Ballet & Tap, 5 & 6 yrs. – Black leotard, pink footed or convertible tights, pink leather ballet slippers, black tap shoes.
Dance skirt optional.
Ballet, All Levels – Black leotard, pink footed or convertible tights, pink leather or canvas ballet slippers. Dance skirt optional.
Ballet II and above, skirts may be worn for center work only.
Division III Ballet - Split-sole ballet slippers recommended.
Pointe - same as all Ballet, plus Pointe shoes. Students will need to go to a dancewear shop to be fitted for pointe shoes.
***Pointe shoe fit must be approved by the instructor before shoes are worn, ribbons sewn, etc.***
Tap, All Levels – Black leotard, pink or tan footed tights, black tap shoes.
Ages 12 and up - heeled musical theatre/chorus style tap shoes required
Jazz, All Levels (including Mini Jazz/HipHop) –
Black jazz pants/capris, any solid color LEOTARD, black jazz shoes.
**ABSOLUTELY NO T-SHIRTS, NO CAMIS**
Modern – Black leotard with black tights, leggings, or yoga/jazz pants, or black unitard. Bare feet.
Hip Hop - GIRLS & GUYS - Black jazz sneakers required. Due to the casual nature of the movement, casual athletic/dance attire is allowed. At least capri length pants recommended for floor work. Clothing must cover all the necessary parts and allow the student to move freely and without distraction (i.e. pulling down a shirt, or pulling up pants). No bare midriffs or excessively low-cut tops or pants.
GUYS - All Classes - Black athletic/dance pants (not heavy sweatpants) or tights (with compression spandex, athletic supporter or dance belt under); fitted plain white t-shirt. Black ballet slippers for ballet, bare feet for modern, black tap oxfords for tap, black jazz shoes for jazz, black jazz sneakers for hip hop.